Rochester to Host Legacy Destination Weekend
June 17, 2011
Rochester is featuring a weekend of engaging arts, history and outdoor events August 18-21 highlighting the importance of these resources to the community and the local impact of funding provided through the Clean Water, Land & Legacy Amendment.
The weekend will feature a series of arts, outdoors and historical sites and events by local organizations, including some that have received grants from the Legacy Amendment, which was approved by Minnesota voters in 2008 to provide financial support for a variety of conservation, parks and cultural programs. The event is part of a monthly series being held in Legacy Destination communities throughout Minnesota to highlight local cultural and outdoor opportunities by drawing residents and visitors to an assortment of fun activities.
The Legacy Destination Weekends program is a partnership of Minnesota Citizens for the Arts, Conservation Minnesota, and Explore Minnesota Tourism, the state's tourism promotion office.
"Our community offers both cultural and outdoor recreation, and we thought it would be fun to let people sample the variety of great things there are to see and do in Rochester," said Bari Amadio, Executive Director of the Rochester Arts Council. "It's a positive thing for our area."
A detailed schedule of events is available online at www.rochestercvb.org/legacy-destination-weekend. Among the events on the Legacy Weekend schedule:
- Scotland's own Paul McKenna Band will take the Peace Plaza stage in downtown Rochester during the Thursdays on First & Third summer market and music festivalas thesecond performancein a series of three World Music mini-residency "capstone concerts."The band's music is created through outstanding vocals, driving guitar and bouzouki, intense fiddle playing, a warm pairing of flute and whistles and dynamic Bodhrán and percussion.This event was funded, in part, by Legacy Grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board and Southeast Minnesota Arts Council.
- TheOlmsted County History Center will be showing"Singing in the Rain" in the great outdoors of the Stoppel Farm. A free will offering is collected as the admission to this event. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and enjoy the onsite food vendors. This event is funded, in part, by a Legacy Grant from the Minnesota Historical Society.
- The Rochester Arts Council presents the 3rd Annual ARTigras in Mayo Park including a production of the Science Museum of Minnesota's Suitcase Science. Suitcase Science is a community-inspired theatre piece and exhibit that highlights many scientific disciplines. Meet the Object Whisperer and hear the science story behind some very interesting Rochester objects. This event was funded, in part, by a Legacy Grant from the Southeast Minnesota Arts Council.
- A live musical performance of Americana Showcase featuring Bob Wootton, Johnny Cash's lead guitarist,and Brandon Sampson of Six Mile Grove at the Rochester Civic Theatre. This event was funded, in part, by a Legacy Grant from the Southeast Minnesota Arts Council.
- Brunch in the Art Center's Grand Lobby while Chicago-based artist Tony Tasset and Rochester Art Center chief curator Kris Douglas lead a thought-provoking presentation on his exhibition Life During War Time, followed by a gallery tour. This event was funded, in part, by a Legacy Grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
- Riverside Concerts presents Collective Soul in Mayo Park at 7pm, Sunday August 21. Down by the Riverside is a seven-week-long free outdoor concert series.With their 1993 mega #1 hit single "Shine", Collective Soul shot to international fame fueling an unprecedented string of alternative rock chart topping hits including "December", "The World I Know", "Where the River Flows", "Gel", "Precious Declaration", "Listen", "Heavy", "Why, Part 2", "Vent", and "Perfect Day" (a duet with Sir Elton John). Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets,snacks and coolersdown to the park to enjoy a night of free music. This event was funded, in part, by Legacy Grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board and Southeast Minnesota Arts Council.
Rochester hotels are offering special rates for visitors staying in Rochester during Legacy Weekend. For a list of hotels and the packages they offer please visit http://www.rochestercvb.org/legacy-weekend-hotel-offers/.